Saturday, March 7, 2009

I'm sorry FreeBSD...I'm moving out and I'm taking the Raid with me

Well, at least I managed to figure out the issue with FreeBSD not booting. Unfortunately, I can't get it to stabilize with ZFS and it looks to be the fault of the ATA driver. It's sad but it seems like the community has lost much of it's luster of the last few years. My questions in the freenode irc channel fell on deaf ears. It appears I'm not alone, even in the newsgroups many well documented questions go unanswered unless very simple. Have all the helpful gurus moved to other operating systems?

And so I've moved to debain with md raid-6. It's not quite everything i'm dreaming of, but at least it works. Hopefully, in a couple of years when I build my next home raid, ZFS will be mature on a platform that will work on my old hardware. My home server is always my previous desktop.

Update: the problem is fixed and ZFS is running without issue.

No comments: