Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Streaming Video from FreeBSD to XBox 360..or Not

After much searching, it seems as though the options for serving up video from my FreeBSD server to my XBox 360 are quite limited. With the help of google and a year old article on this very same topic, It seems as though there are five options:

Name In Ports? Supports 360? Transcoding? Free? Last Release
GMediaServer No With Patch No Yes 11/10/07
MediaTomb Yes No Yes Yes 03/01/08
360MediaServer No Yes Yes Yes 08/29/07
uShare Yes Yes No Yes 12/09/07
Fuppes No Yes Yes Yes 12/19/07

Ahh, if only MediaTomb worked with the 360, life would be so much simpler.

Given the options it looks like my only real choice here is Fuppes. Although, that means I’m going to need to manually compile and configure it. Good thing Fruppes comes with complete instructions on how to do this. Compiling things in FreeBSD can sometimes get kind of messy.

Edit: Right after I got to this point ZFS vomited everywhere and now FreeBSD refuses to get past the boot0 stage unless my onboard SATA controllers are both disabled. If you are interested, read more about it on the luck.freebsd.questions mailing list.

Update: I've since fixed this issue. FreeBSD 7 with ZFS is working great.

No comments: